David J. Stone M.D.
Dr. Stone is a graduate of Yale University (1974) and the NYU School of Medicine (1978). He trained in internal medicine and anesthesiology at the University of Virginia, in critical care medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital, and is board- certified in all three specialties. His clinical experience includes two years of general internal medicine practice on Cape Cod with Falmouth Medical Associates. In 1986, he joined the University of Virginia faculty where he was an attending physician in both the surgical and medical intensive care units, participated in management of the operating rooms, and was a member of the liver transplant team as well as Director of the Division of Neurosurgical Anesthesiology. He became Professor of Anesthesiology and Neurological Surgery in 1998, and was Vice Chair for Education in the anesthesiology department. He won departmental and medical school teaching awards and in 1998, received the second annual teaching prize awarded by the International Anesthesia Research Society.
In 2001, he joined VISICU.com where he worked with physicians from Johns Hopkins to develop and implement a tele-ICU system that included a complete EMR, data analytic tools, and a variety of real time clinical decision support features for critical care medicine. VISICU was later purchased by Philips Healthcare where he continued to work in clinical strategy development until his departure from Philips in March, 2012. At the time of his departure, the tele-ICU system was installed in about 10% of U.S. adult ICU beds. He remains Visiting Professor of Anesthesiology and Neurological Surgery at UVa where he is a faculty associate of the Wireless Health Center. He is currently working on several projects related to clinical data systems and control engineering in medicine.
Selected publications and working papers:
- Stone DJ, Bogdonoff DL, Leisure GS, Spiekermann BF, Mathes DD (eds): Perioperative Care: Anesthesia, Surgery and Medicine, Mosby, St. Louis, 1998.
- Stone DJ: Process-based Pharmacology in Neuroanesthesia. Current Opinion in Anesthesiology, 2000; 13:509-516.
- Mathes DD, Stone DJ, Dent JM. Perioperative cardiac risk stratification: Ritual or requirement? J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2001; 15(5):626-30.
- Breslow MJ, Rosenfeld B, Doerfler M, Burke G, Yates G, Stone DJ, Tomaszewicz P, Plocher D, Hochman R: Effect of an ICU Telemedicine Program on Clinical and Economic Outcomes. Critical Care Medicine, 2004; 32:31-38.
- Breslow MJ, Stone DJ, Technology Strategies to Improve ICU Practice. Seminars in Anesthesia, Perioperative Medicine, and Pain, 2005; 24: 59-70.
- Dahl D, Wojtal GG, Breslow MJ, Holl R, Huguez D, Stone D, Korpi GJ. The high cost of low-acuity ICU outliers. Healthcare Management. 2012; 57(6):421- 33.
- Celi LA, Mark RG, Stone DJ, Montgomery R, “Big Data” in the ICU: Closing the data loop. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 2013; 187(11):1157-60.
- Li N, Cruz J, Chenghao SC, Sojoudi S, Recht B, Stone DJ, Csete M, Bahmiller D, Doyle JC. Robust Efficiency and Actuator Saturation Explain Healthy Heart Rate Control and Variability. PNAS. 2014; www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1401883111
- Ghassemi M, Marshall J, Singh N, Stone DJ, Celi LA. Leveraging a critical care database:Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor use prior to ICU admission is associated with increased hospital mortality. Chest. 2014; 145(4):745-52.
Celi LA, Zimolzak AJ, Stone DJ. Dynamic clinical data mining: Search engine-based clinical decision support. J Medical Internet Research: Medical Informatics. 2014; 2(1):e13. doi:10.2196/medinform.3110
- Celi LA, Csete ME, Stone DJ. Optimal data systems: the future of clinical predictions and decision support. Current Opinion in Critical Care 2014; 20:573-80.
- Moseley ET, Hsu D, Stone DJ, Celi LA. Beyond Data Liberation: Addressing the problem of unreliable research. J Medical Internet Research 2014;16(11):e259. doi: 10.2196/jmir.3871.
- Celi LA, Ippolito A, Montgomery R, Moses C, Stone DJ. Crowdsourcing knowledge discovery and innovations in medicine. J Medical Internet Research 2014;16(9):e216 doi: 10.2196/jmir.3761
- Celi LA, Moseley E, Moses C, Ryan P, Somai M, Stone DJ, Tang K,, From pharmacovigilance to clinical care optimization. Big Data. 2014; 2(3):134-41. doi: 10.1089/big.2014.0008
- Badawi O, Brennan T, Celi LA, Feng M, Ghassemi M, Ippolito A, Johnson A, Mark RG, Mayaud L, Moody G, Moses C, Naumann T, Pimentel M, Pollard TJ, Santos M, Stone DJ, Zimolzak AJ. Making big data useful for health care: A summary of the inaugural MIT critical data conference. J Medical Internet Research: Medical Informatics 2014;2(2):e22 doi:10.2196/medinform.3447
- Celi LA, Marshall JD, Lai Y, Stone DJ, Disrupting electronic health record systems: The next generation. J Medical Internet Research: Medical Informatics. 2015;3(4):e34). doi:10.2196/medinform.4192.
- Csete ME, Stone DJ. Actuating critical care therapeutics. Forthcoming in journal of Critical Care.
- Moskowitz A, McSparron J, Stone DJ, Celi LA. Preparing a new generation of clinicians for the era of big data. Harvard Medical Student Review 2015; 2(1):24-7.
- Stone DJ, Csete ME, Celi LA. Engineering control into medicine. Journal of Critical Care. Published Online: January 29, 2015 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2015.01.019
- Ghassemi M, Celi LA, Stone DJ. The data revolution in critical care. Annual Update in Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine 2015. Volume 2015, 2015; pp 573-586. also, Forthcoming in Critical Care.
- Lai Y, Moseley E, Stone DJ, Celi LA. Megacities, Megadata: Using big data to build healthy cities. In press: Handbook of Clinical Data Mining.
- Kim J, Ra H-K, Salekin A, Yoon HJ, Nirjon S Stone DJ, Kim S, Lee J-M, Son SH, Stankovic JA. AsthmaGuide: An Asthma Monitoring and Advice Ecosystem. Working paper
- Chien SC, Wen M-S, Csete M, Stone DJ, Doyle J. A unified framework for electrocardiographic diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction. Working paper.
- Rousseau JF, Lai Y, Stone DJ. Pulling it all together: Data as the Backbone of Healthcare. In press: Handbook of Clinical Data Mining.
- Aboab J, Celi LA, Charlton P, Feng M, Ghassemi M, Marshall DC, Mayaud L, Naumann T, McCague N, Paik KE, Pollard TJ, Resche-Rigon M, Salciccioli JD, Salciccioli J, Stone DJ. A datathon model to support crossdisciplinary collaboration. Science Translational Medicine 2016; 8:333ps8.